Monday, 1 August 2011

A place for everything (ok, a place for some things...)

Phew! Monday is finally over - the bad part anyway, now I'm home I can do whatever I jolly well please! I'm not a Monday fan as it signals 5 days of work but I'm only in for 4 this week so already it's feeling like a Tuesday :-) I haven't been very hooky or knitty today. Usually I get to knit at lunch but I was quite rushed today and had a meeting this afternoon so I'm going to get down to something yarn related very soon...

First though I want to show you what I was upto this weekend. A colleague from where I used to work got in touch asking if anyone I knew could donate raffle prizes to a charity fundraiser he's organising. Apart from a load of junk in my flat I really don't have much to giveaway (that would be wanted!) but I can make things :-D After a few messages back and forth we settled on some heart shaped door hangers. At first I was going to crochet them but realistically this would have taken a lot longer than just sewing them so I grabbed my trusty Brother machine and off I went!
Door hangers


I'm not mad mad mad on them (although I love the idea) because they're a bit of a weird shape in my opinion! They went a bit pointy around the tops even though I was quite careful when sewing, but they are ok and hopefully they'll make a nice prize.

Door hangers


They're pretty easy to make by the way, if you wanted to give it a go.

1. Just sew two heart shapes together (right sides facing) making sure you poke some ribbon out of the top (you want the loop between the two sides).

2. Leave a gap big enough to turn the right way round and stuff. I sprayed my filling with a little peppermint oil to give it a nice smell, you could put lavender in or anything you like. See, just two steps ;-)

That wasn't what I wanted to show you though, oh no!

You see I've been experimenting with button holes... (possibly the most exciting setting on my sewing machine - it just does it for you!!!)

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

And digging out pretty buttons from my tins...

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

Sewing little poppers... Ok ok I'll get on with it :-)

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

Ta-dah!!!
My brand new knitting needle / crochet hook roll. I LOVE it!! I already have one I admit, I made it years ago back here but you can tell it was pretty basic and there are nowhere near enough places for all the hooks and needles I have now!

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

Not to mention that everything kept falling out of it...

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

Now there are spaces for my DPNs (ok, never used them...!) and my growing hook farm!

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll



Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

Many places for needles old and future!

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

And the little flap keeps everyhing (well almost everything) secure

Knitting needle & crochet hook roll

If I'd given it more thought I might have made little flaps for all the hooks as they can (and do) still fall out. I didn't really plan how I was going to put it together and kinda made it up as I went along (which is why the last one needed replacing!) but I'm actually pretty happy and I think it will serve its purpose well enough.

The fabric is all from Leon's in Chorlton, Manchester - I'm going to have to get you guys a photo if they'll let me it's simply amazing! Every time I go in I find something new and beautiful, sometimes it even ends up coming home with me!

Ok knitting time now, I need to get a few more pieces made so I can show you and get your opinion as I've hit a bit of a creative block!

Byeeeeee

x x x x

5 comments:

  1. The hanging hearts are very pretty.
    Love the hook/ knitting needle roll.. the fabric is lovely and looks very impressive! I haven't learn how to make button holes on my machine yet...

    Ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought myself a half price sewing machine, I have no clue how to sew though. I will have to ask my Mom for lessons. I blame your bunting! I think I will have a go at love hearts. I love your hook roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hearts and needle and hook roll.. bravo, my dear! Come to my blog for my giveaway!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your needle/hook roll! That fabric is gorgeous, and it's all stitched so neatly :-) I bought myself a sewing machine a while ago, all I can do is stare at it so far. Must take lessons with mom (who's a seemstress/dressmaker) urgently! Have a lovely day, and may it be Thursday soon! ;-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to your latest post Teresa and left my thanks :-)

    Bunting is a great way to get into sewing, if you look at my 'tags cloud' on the right and click bunting one of my posts has a quick tutorial on how to make some. It's just single sided unlike the one you bought but it's easy to do both :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x