Saturday, 22 October 2011

October

Hello!!! I thought it was about time I posted on a day that isn't Tuesday although truth betold I've got a lot of WIPs and not a lot of FOs to show you but we'll see how we get on :-)

Two weeks ago we were mostly having torrential rain and hurricane type winds but this week has been pretty lovely, the weather could even be described as beautiful!


October
The light is just stunning (but not very good for taking photos of crocheting!)

October

I've had a big garden tidy, the sweetpeas are gone along with a few other plants that haven't survived the battering. It looks much neater now, it wouldn't surprise me if we had snow again soon!


October


Enough of the weather now, how British! I'm really excited to share this with you... A few months ago I posted on Ravelry asking if anyone knew where I could buy coloured knitted needles from as mine are all grey. I've seen lovely hooks on eBay but no needles.


Beautiful presents


My absolute new best friend EVER Donna in Canada replied saying she did and before I knew it had been to her local Michael's Store (a brilliant craftshop in North America / Canada) and bought me some needles! Needless to say I was flipping over the moon!

Due to a bit of a postal strike (!!) and possibly a boat trip (?) the needles spent 52 days travelling but they are finally here! If I thought I was excited a few months ago this was nothing compared to how I felt this morning when the postman came! I had sort of given up hope of seeing them and thought they were missing across the Atlantic but they are here!!!


Knitting needles



Aren't they wonderful!!


The most amazing thing about all of this is Donna paid for everything and just said I could pass on the good karma by doing another person a good deed :-o Well I certainly will be, I have one massive big deed to owe (or lots of little ones!!)


Beautiful presents


Donna even sent me two balls of Vannas Choice yarn which is much talked about across the pond. The red will make some lovely Christmas decorations I think and the black will be so good for amigurumi because I always need darker colours for that :-)


Knitting needles



You might notice some other needles at the bottom too!



Knitting needles


A couple of weeks ago when I went down to London to visit my family we visited to a town called Rochester and look what I scavenged from a charity shop!


Vintage needles


More knitting needles that aren't grey!! I'm having a bit of a needle overdose aren't I!

After the DPN fiasco I decided I needed to learn cables instead, well let me tell you this was a MUCH more pleasant experience. I love cables! They are so easy, you don't even really need a cable needle (a DPN will do, horray a use for them!) so I made a fab little coffee mug cosie for a friend at work:


Mug cosie


The pattern is on a blog called His Glory Hand Knits and it was very simple to follow.


Mug cosie


Here it is doing it's job on a coffee plunger. Apparantly it's actually very useful which is of course a bonus!


Mug cosie


Time to do some housework / laundry now I think. Booo! See you soon

x x x x

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, wow, you lucky girl! Now your needle case looks like a rainbow!! You'll have fun with those. I have to say, the adorable colored vintage plastic ones are so cute!! I actually bought some tortoise shell colored plastic ones from Australia that I adore. They're quite thin, though, which I don't use fine gauge needles much, but they're cool to look at.

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those knitting needles are fabulous! Lucky you, and lucky friend at work who gets to have that adorable coffee mug cosie :-) My grandma's knitting needles are safely tucked away at the moment (my poor left hand couldn't take it anymore), it's all about ripple-craziness right now! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colored needles are the best! :D Unfortunately I can never seem to find them around my neck of the woods...
    But geez louise, 52 DAYS?! Man, I would have given up hope WAY before that! Way to hang in there ;)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x