Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Me and my bike

This right here is my bicycle. It may not look anything special and it's certainly not as beautiful as this, this or this, but I've had this bike since I was in Primary school and I'm now 26...

DIY pannier bag

I do quite enjoy telling people that! My Dad decided if he was going to buy me a bike he'd make sure I could grow into it... Well how I ever rode around the streets at home when I was 10 I'll never know because I've only just raised the seat and handlebars!

Anyway, I digress. My bike has made a come back! From being used as a kid and left in our garage for years-and-years-and-years it finally made its way up to Manchester where it's lived on our balcony a little neglected until finally my bike found it's purpose!

I've started riding to work as most of the time I'm in town and it's not very far. I've even started to go further afield and now I pretty much cycle everywhere! My bike's got new road tyres, lights, a bell, mudguards and more recently a pannier rack for bags - but alas I had no bags and to be honest, most pannier bags I've seen are either pretty ugly or pretty but expensive.

I decided to make my own bag and eventually settled on a Haversack from an Army Surplus shop; there are loads on ebay and mine was only about £10. Agreed it's not floral and pretty but it's quite practical and should be durable. It's only going to get wet and muddy anyway!

DIY pannier bag

The original rucksack strap loops have made an excellent place to attach bungees instead of putting proper hooks onto the bag.

DIY pannier bag

And to make the bag more rigid I cut up a new chopping board (J was not pleased about this part!!) and that's attached through the bag with buttons. Not so pretty on the inside, but much prettier on the outside!

DIY pannier bag

DIY pannier bag

It was while looking for suitable buttons in my stash that I came across these little flowers I bought ages ago. I had planned to maybe embroider something on the bag but these have saved me a lot of effort and trouble; I love them!

DIY pannier bag

And now I have one almost-finished pannier bag. I think I need two! Seriously, it is so much nicer to ride without a rucksack and this bag is a little tardis!

My next step is to sew on a shoulder strap for normal carrying, this was after all my original reason (excluding money) for making a bag as most I've seen are great easy to carry when you've finished riding.

Ta dah :)
DIY pannier bag

What do you think? Should I add any more embellishments, buttons, ribbons, some crochet perhaps?

Thank you to everyone who liked the knitted bunting (and that it wasn't clutter *J* !!) especially to Hawthorn who emailed twice - the second time to say she was going on to Ravelry to get the pattern and start stash busting - yay!

I've told myself off for not being a good blogger and replying to my lovely commenters - the only people I can't email are "no reply" bloggers so if you haven't had a "hi! hello!" from me that's why :) Thank you's sent and karma restored, time to click "publish" on this post :)

x x x x

9 comments:

  1. I think you should add more embellishments, especially crochet ones!

    I think this is a lovely little post :) I got far too big for my bike and never got another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Love the bike...I'm thinking of getting one for my 10yr old daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you need is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pimp-your-bike-crocheted-skirt-guards-fahrradnetz-jasbeschermer and a crocheted seat too ;).

    Fantastic idea for panniers, so much nicer than those boring ones you can buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky you are to have your original bike! That's a great bag you have put together - I'm sure you'll add doo dahs to it as you get the inspiration to do so. Glad to see you're posting more! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a coincidence! I've been riding my bike a LOT lately and I hugely enjoy it! I've been bike-less for four years (my previous four bikes were all stolen, tss) but my mum gave me hers a few weeks ago. Now yours is a LOT prettier I must say :-) I like it just the way it is, I love the bag you've made! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really clever. I've been thinking about switching to panniers too - but I want something with a shoulder strap as well. I ride a folding bike, and while it could still fold with a pannier on the side, I want the option to take it off, and carry the bike and the pannier if I have to. But every premade pannier I've found has been huge!
    So I'll take a look for what I can find, and I might try to fashion my own too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, it looks perfect. I like the buttons, personally I wouldn't go too fussy, I like the understated approach, but I'm sure whatever you do will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this haversack! You made it cute with the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bike but you definitely need more crochet/vintage bling!
    I never bad a "big bike", the option of a puppy or bike for a birthday present was the reason.
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x