I don't think I can keep you guys waiting anymore... I've been a bit mean by not posting *any* photos of the blanket in weeks but this big project is finally... Done.
There will be no more teasing posts about how many hexagons I've made this week...
Or about how many extra hexagons I need to complete...
No more posts about half hexagons either or how I might do the border...
Which incidentally is a round of trebles and a second round of half trebles. With a blanket this fussy a simple border seemed to work nicely.
It really is difficult to photograph something so big and the weather and therefore lighting hasn't been great either so this is the best I could manage.
The yarn I've been using is Stylecraft Special DK - it was the "Lucy Pack" with extra shades of yellow - Saffron & Lemon because I wanted a few more bright shades. Lemon turned out to be a fantastic "middle" as it started off most shades really well.
1061 *** Plum
1246 *** Lipstick
1083 *** Pomegranate
1084 *** Magenta
1132 *** Shrimp
1241 *** Fondant
1390 *** Clematis
1432 *** Wisteria
1188 *** Lavender
1034 *** Sherbet
1420 *** Camel
1114 *** Sunshine
1081 *** Saffron
1020 *** Lemon
1316 *** Spring Green
1065 *** Meadow
1422 *** Aspen
1068 *** Turquoise
1003 *** Aster
1019 *** Cloud Blue
The pattern is Lucy's as well and her very easy to follow Hexagon How To can be found on her blog.
I didn't join as you go because I really wanted white borders, but I didn't want the last round of the hexagon to be white (i.e. colourful circles edged in white) so each hexagon has been finished with a round of double crochet (US sc) and they're all sewn together.
The border was just a round of trebles and another round of half trebles. When it came to the "peaks" of the side I did 1 tr, 1 ch, 1 tr in the corner space, and for the "valleys" I just missed out two stitches in the very bottom (it was a bit made up / hit and miss!).
I'd heard that washing Stylecraft transformed it into magical soft stuff... I was a bit wary but almost as soon as I'd finished I chucked it in the machine on a quick wash and dry. Scariest 35 minutes of my life!
This is before...
And this is after! Well, after once I'd hidden all the ends!!!
Apart from being super super soft - much softer than I expected - it's also super floppy!! It's much more snuggly now but feels a lot more delicate too. I discovered my end weaving left something to be desired, 4-5 hexagons came apart but were easily repaired and I've pulled all the other ends that wriggled loose to the back & I'm sewing them back in to hide.
I can't give exact details on my washers temperature, all I know is the wash cycle was about 30 but the drying doesn't say. I think the coolest drying cycle on the quickest time would probably be fine.
I am super pleased with the results though!
I don't think I'm going to be attempting another blanket for a while. Now I can get on with finishing another snood, the Green Garden Grannies cushion and a few other bit's and bobs.
Bye bye One-A-Day project! Thank you for having me Carole & all the other crochet/knitters, and *thank you* for helping to get this one finished!!
x x x x