Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Tuesdays Tallies: six

One a Day Banner

The end of the hexagon blanket is almost here...! My cream wool arrived last week so I'm now onto the last bit before the border :)

Last week Deb from A World of Imagination asked how I was going to edge my blanket and I've finally got to the point where I can show you :)

I figured the easiest thing would be to draw it...

IMG_5414

The sections I've coloured orange I decided to make half-hexagons to fill what would have been quite large gaps. I don't mind the sides too much (where the green triangles are) and I think it will look quite nice with a zig-zag edge.

I've since found a couple of tutorials and diagrams to make half-hexagons but I made it up as I went along and it was really quite easy. As I speak I'm trying to make a proper tutorial but it's going to take a lot longer than I thought so I'll probably post that later.

You begin as normal - I use a magic circle, chain 3 and then make 6 trebles (US dc) into the middle. Tighten the magic circle and fasten off.

Half hexagons

For round two slip stitch into the first chain 3, chain 3 and treble 1 (US dc) into the same stitch (makes one bobble stitch). Make 6 more bobbles in each treble from round 1.

Half hexagons

I love the way they look like rainbows :)

Half hexagons

Round three. Chain 3 into the first bobble of round two and make 2 more trebles to make a cluster. Chain 1. Treble 3 into the next bobble, chain 1. Repeat til the end - you should have 7 clusters in total.

Half hexagons

They look even more like rainbows now huh?

Half hexagons

Half hexagons

Round 4 is made up of two rounds really, you just can't see the first.

To make sure the last round is the right way round, you want to do this bit on the reverse.

Slip stitch into the top of chain 3, chain 3 and slip stitch into the gap between the trebles. Continue to the end of the round - I keep saying round but they're anything but round!

Turn the half-hex over and slip stitch into the first chain loop thing - Chain 3 and treble 2 into the same chain and treble three into the next loop.

Treble 3 into the next loop, chain 2 and then treble another 3 into the same loop. This makes a corner.

Treble 3 into the next chain, then do the corner again - treble 3, chain 2, treble 3 into the same loops.

In the next two loops make 3 more trebles and tie off

Half hexagons

I edged mine with double crochet (US sc) in cream (!!) to finish.

Half hexagons

These should fill in all the big gaps to make a straight edge. I really hope what I've just written makes sense - if not feel free to email me - nicoleandthebee at gmail.com :-)

As always you can visit Caroles blog for more Tuesdays Tallies by clicking the banner

x x x x

12 comments:

  1. What a clever idea, I didn't edge mine as I didn't know how to go about it. Thank you so much for sharing, I can't wait to see the finished blanket. Have a good week. Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like slices of fruit.. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clear tutorial! I'm so looking forward to seeing the finished blankie :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh those half hexagons are so so pretty! Love the rainbow colours!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for the grand finale.All the hexis are so pretty - the blanket is going to be breathtaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little rainbows before their final rounds! Please hurry up and finish, I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh those little rainbows are so cute! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I can´t wait to see your blanket finished. I´m sure it will be amazing!
    Have a great day! xxxBarbina

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect solution to use your little rainbows. I was just trying to decide how to proceed with my African flower hexies and am going to leave the shape as is. I am going to DC around the edges a couple of times to finish as there are no half flowers. This is a great solution. I cannot wait to see your blanket finished. It is so pretty with all its colors.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! Such a creative way to finish off your blanket! I too am making one of these, but I am knitting instead of crocheting my hexis. These crochet ones look absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial, I will bear it in mind for future use! I love the way you have put your colours together, your hexagons are simply scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so pretty! I have been working on my blanket for two years now, this is a bit of the inspiration I need to get going again! - Annie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x