Sunday, 23 September 2012

The City that never sleeps

YaWn! I am SO tired right now, something to do with having returned from this amazing city a few days ago :)

NYC 2012 tilted

We didn't get up til 1pm today and 2pm yesterday - shocking!! I feel very jet lagged but all is good. While we were away J & I got a new camera which has a tilt-shift setting that I absolutely love. It makes things look like little miniature models! I won't bore you with hundreds of photos you'll already have seen before, so hopefully these are a little different.

Time Square! Apparently a little seedy back in the 70s, it's now the place where everyone seems to converge of an evening. I loved walking here most nights when we came in 2008 (we stayed literally a couple of blocks away), this year we stayed out in Queens but we managed a good few trips here :)

NYC 2012 tilted

NYC 2012 tilted

Our trusty number 7 train in and out of Manhattan

NYC 2012 tilted

Cony Island

We went in May last time and the amusements were closed! It was quite eerie and I was the only person on the beach but at least the aquarium was open. A very different story this time.

NYC 2012 tilted

NYC 2012 tilted

The Staten Island Ferry

Probably the best free way to see the Statue of Liberty!

NYC 2012 tilted

NYC 2012 tilted

I came back with American Candy - I love the packaging!  Milk Duds are very yummy and we scoffed at least two boxes of pancake mix while we were away, they're so much fluffier than the ones we make in the UK.

American Candy

And a modest purchase from Michaels craft store which is quite simply the most brilliant place ever :D

I've got a nice shiney set of colourful crochet hooks now that are crying out for some new handles... I even got something for another giveaway... More on that another time!

Purchases from Michaels :)

Being New York I didn't have much time to be bored, and I seem to be getting more and more motion sick, so despite taking supplies for the flight I didn't crochet a whole lot but I've made a start on a Little Woollie inspired cushion - I've just seen that she's doing a crochet-a-long for my most favourite blanket ever and I'm gutted I've missed it but I might try and catch up, or just save the pattern. Anywho :)

Kidston Cushion

Kidston Cushion

The colours are Stylecraft again - lets be honest I have so much I think very little of what I make's going to be anything else :-p I'm using Pomegranate, Fondant, Clematis, Meadow, Cloud Blue, Sherbet & Cream at random. I think the back may have to be stripes :)

I need to go and do all that fun post holiday stuff now, washing, getting ready for work tomorrow... What fun! Hope you've all had a good week or two, I'll be back soon with more hooky fun!

x x x x

7 comments:

  1. How exciting, never been to New York and I haven't really wanted to until your post! Good ol stylecraft, lovely colour combo for your giant granny. Hope the alarm isn't too much of a shock tomorrow :o Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you had a wonderful time in New York City. I love England and I loved living in London, one of the best times of my life. But, we do have some nice cities over here in the States. Even if I say so myself. Talk to you soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool you got to visit NYC. Your photos are very artsy and colorful! Your impeccable yarn is awesome.. what is the color name? Enjoy your week!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos of NYC. I've never been either but maybe one day!

    Your cushion looks lovely, great choice of colours. You are going to have to tell me where you got your rainbow rug, I've spotted it a few times now and I really want one for my lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love the colors in that cushion!!!Lovely pics of New York!!Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the Big Apple, Nicole! During the years we lived in upstate NY we made a few forays into the city to see the sights, but I probably experienced more of the city in the two weeks my husband and I lived there while he was attending computer classes at IBM in the early 1970s. One of my favorite ways of seeing the city was a boat ride around the island. Your post evoked many good memories for me. Thanks! xx from Gracie p.s. I am going to Google search for the beautiful yarn you showed us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for New York. It looks like you had such a fun time. I want to spend more time there. I have to agree with you about milk duds, yum! although nothing quite beats English sweeties. I usually come back with a suitcaseful of goodies when I return home for a visit. - Annie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x