Sunday, 3 March 2013

Joining Granny Squares & Sewing :-)


Thanks to everyone who commented on my last post, things have picked up a lot since then, J had just lost his job but amazing luck & a lot of applications sees him starting something new tomorrow. I can't tell you how relieved we both are!


My knitting / crochet updates might be a little slow, in the run up to Christmas I did too much & I think I've put strain on my hands so my fingers had been aching quite a bit. I've tried to bed sensible & cut right down (which is killing me!) & I found a great set of exercises on Knit Freedom which I'd recommend looking at & trying, even if you're not in any pain. It can't hurt ;-)

Crochet throw

I've been making slow & steady progress on the granny squares for my Nan's throw & they're almost all joined now. I've used Lucy's tutorial for crocheting them together, I don't know how I've not used it before because I love the result, so neat & no need for a border :)

I taught a couple of ladies how to crochet & make granny squares last week at my local WI! I joined in January & Wednesday was our first craft club, it was so much fun!

Crochet throw

I have to say, photographing 'red' seems to be particularly difficult! The first few photos I took seemed to merge all the shades. I've dropped my exposure down to about -1 & the ISO down as well which seems to have worked - hopefully you can see the three reds, if not... Oh well :)


I spent most of yesterday upcycling this rather unexciting bag...

Before...

Upcycling

After...

Upcycling

I've used up a lot of off cuts of fabric (I knew I was keeping them for something!) & the buttons are from my Local Craft Store.

Upcycling

The owl is just a copy of the one I made and blogged about here two years ago. Wow, was it that long ago?


Time to get back to a little bit of crochet now :-) Thanks for stopping by and for all your lovely comments, they really did cheer me up & I appreciate the time you all take cos I know how busy you all are with life & crafting!

LOVE

x x x x

15 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful granny blankie. Yes, I can see the different reds, well done you. Love the owl embellished bag and glad that J is starting something new tomorrow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loo! Haven't quite got the shades right but close enough :)

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely warm blanket, the colours are so rich. The owl bag is fantastic, perfect for showing off around town. Take care. Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bags survived two gigs so far, I think my sewings gone well!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad J has a new job to go to.. I hope it's way better than the last! I adore your red blanket.. clever to use many shades of the same color, it's a great effect! Enjoy your week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blanket is looking great and your owl bag is so cute! I prefer to join my granny squares this way too. I have tried JAYG but I find it hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JAYG is ok but you have to know how you want them to be before you've finished. I like to make lots of squares or hexies and lay them out first :)

      Delete
  5. That's such a relief, redundancy is so hard. It's happened to us too recently but fortunately we're ok now. Stressful though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! Sorry to hear Heather but equally glad you're ok, it's horrible isn't it :(

      Delete
  6. Yaay for you and J! I am so happy to hear everything turned out fine, I hope he likes his new job at least as much as the old one :-) The blanket is beautiful, and so is the owlie bag! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It's going well so far, lots to learn! I love my owlie bag, makes me smile :)

      Delete
  7. The owl bag is so cute! I love how you used scrap material to make it.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's great using scraps, it feels like you've made something for free :D

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for posting, Nicole! The reds in your blanket are soooo beeeeautiful to view...I feel warm and rich and happy :-) I'm so glad J found work, and I hope it will be enjoyable for both of you. Please give your marvelous monster a hug from me, too, and your owlie bag makes me smile as well :-) xx, Gracie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x