Sunday, 19 May 2013

The afternoon tea dress

It's been said that the BBC has a lot to answer for recently, and no I don't mean any of that stuff that's been going on - this is a crafty blog! - I'm talking about the Great British Sewing Bee...
♥ 

 I'm not new when it comes to sewing, I've knocked up all sorts of things from...

...Cushion covers
Cushions 

...to bunting...

Bunting


... and I've made a couple of skirts.  But when I watched the first episode of The Sewing Bee I was like "right, I NEED to make a dress now!" And apparently I wasn't the only one, the


♥ 
So I bought this simplicity pattern, it's 3 dresses and two little jackets (although I'm unlikely to make those) and at the time it was half price so I was pretty chuffed with that.  It's Simplicity pattern 1873 :)

Simplicity 1873

I should warn you, this next bit is very photo heavy so if you just want to see the finished this just scroll to the bottom :)

cutting
Tea dress

pinning
Tea dress

Tea dress

learning tailors tacks
Tea dress

Tea dress

my first ever darts
Tea dress

cutting the lining that I decided I didn't need & quickly realised I did
Tea dress

a sewn bodice!
Tea dress

pinning & sewing the sleeves
Tea dress

Tea dress
Tea dress

attaching the sleeves!
Tea dress

finishing touches on the waist band
Tea dress

And finally after a couple of days, of pins in my thumbs, of ripping out stitching I'd done wrong & consulting books and YouTube when the pattern made me think "you what?!"....  it was finished :)

Tea dress

Wooooop!  I'm more surprised than anyone that it even fits, ok it's not perfect & I could do with working on my measurements & darts but hey you know what I really like it.

Typically it's not stopped raining since so I haven't worn it out :(  Maybe we'll have a nice bank holiday?

Anyone else inspired to get the sewing machine out?  I'd love to see what you've been making! 

x x x x  


32 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress, well done, it looks great. I loved the Great British Sewing Bee too, it was very inspiring and I actually felt sad when it finished!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Just looking at your blog now, it's lovely!

      Delete
  2. I love to sew. I used to watch Project Runway, here in the States and I would always get inspired to make something. You did a lovely job. Hope you get to wear it out soon. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kashi :) I've don't think I've seen Project Runway but I should give it a look now that the Bee is over

      Delete
  3. Lovely pattern, and you made a fab job sewing it together.........I've been inspired by The Great British Sewing Bee too........I'm making little Jess a dress at the moment before I commit to making one for myself.
    kim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fab pattern :) I love the dresses you've made, so glad your new machine is working brilliantly :)

      Delete
  4. I think that dress is beautiful. How unique. I would love to do this...I need to work on my figure and my sewing skills. I am proud to say I got my machine out and spent all day on Saturday making six napkins! They still are not finished and look rather rustic! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how you've gotta start! Random little projects until you feel you can do bigger things :D

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. More luck than anything and it's not been washed so it'll probably shrink!!

      Delete
  6. Love your dress. I made one too after the TV show. See here. I have really got into sewing lately, check out the sewing label in the sidebar. I have really enjoyed reading your blog.Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/hooray-party-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Started following your blog Jo, love it!

      Delete
  7. Hello Nicole

    My you are so clever,your dress is too gorgeous and looks lovely on.I loved watching the sewing bee and used to sew a lot of my own clothes when I was at Uni and in my early 20's. I tend to sew simple things now like Aline skirts but would love to conquer something a bit more complicated x Thanks always for your sweet comments on my blog xx Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you could totally make something more complicated, just take it one step at a time and remember - You Tube is your friend!

      Delete
  8. It is gorgeous! hooray for making our own dresses, it is the best thing in the world, well I think anyway. Also that stupid great british sewing bee has me making all my darts nice and neat and tidying up my hems and everything. I curse them constantly as they have made me try to be a better sewer! Bring on the next series thats what I say. - Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! Good for you & your neat darts, can't wait for series 2 :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! Well done you! I did watch and enjoy the GBSB but the dressmaking bug didn't seem to get me! Never mind, I've plenty else to keep me busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh at least you got to enjoy the show, it just adds more things to the "to do" list and then there's less time to knit & crochet :o

      Delete
  10. I'm very impressed with your efforts, Nicole! (you take after my mother more than I do :-) My limited experiences sewing with a sewing machine were not very productive, but I recently had fun sewing together a rabbit and a bunny by hand...their small sizes were less daunting! Happy stitching!
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracie your hand sewn bunnies are adorable, so much harder to get right I think than hand sewing x

      Delete
  11. Wow! I'm seriously impressed, it looks gorgeous on you and I hope the weather improves so you can give it a proper outing soon. I'm terrified of sewing machines so despite loving the GBSB I won't be joining in the sewing craze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be terrified Carole, get some cheap fabric and if you mess up it won't matter!

      Delete
  12. Well done, it looks fabulous ... I have the sewing machine ready just need to pick a pattern!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplicity is a good place to start, or maybe your local haberdashery - even ebay!

      Delete
  13. That sewing project looked very complicated, good on you for doing it all and so well. You look like a model wearing it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I rally don't but thank you Teresa! x

      Delete
  14. Love the dress you clever girl xo
    I spend way to much time looking and not doing lol
    Oh and away a LOT too.

    wendy in oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I have to admit I'm the same normally, constantly browsing the web & seeing lovely things, saying I'll make them one day & then never doing it :o

      Delete
  15. WoW .... that is one beautiful dress! well done.
    love jooles xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jooles! Big compliment from you :)

      Delete
  16. I think it looks great, I hope I can have the same dedication one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just need that spur of motivation, I don't get it often so when I do I try to embrace it :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x