Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Choosing colour

It's not working!!! :(  

I totally thought I had it, what other colour would sort out my blanket than....  

Purple!
IMG_2360

So I hooked up these four squares and I was pretty excited until last night when I put them with the other colours & it just doesn't work for me.  Not one bit.

IMG_2362

I tried it without the green, and it's better but I do like the green so I'm not sure now what to do.  I've decided the purple is too dark, it either needs a shade between to made it blend or it needs to go.  It's only four squares and they can be saved for another project.

IMG_2361

I went back to my original colour palette with an even mix of colours but the problem with this is I've run out of Pomegranate, Wisteria and Meadow
so if I want an even mix this is as big as it can get!

IMG_2363

I added in the grey, which I'm still happy with because it's not too far from the Wisteria / Lavender shades.


IMG_2364

I might have run out of Stylecraft but I do have some lovely shades of pink sent to me by Nanita who if you remember ages ago I did a swap with? I posted about it here, two years ago!!

I haven't used all of the yarn so I'm going to see how more pink works out...  And then decide whether to go all pink or try to keep with a bit of green... This was supposed to be fun right?  ;)

x x x x

9 comments:

  1. Oh thank goodness someone else like me. I wonder at the wonderful ability of some lovely crafters who can just "see" colours.
    The trouble is we all see things in such a different way. I definitely love the green there.
    Thanks for popping into Chalkys and leaving such a lovely comment about the Fuschia Mandelas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried 'The Design Seed' for colour inspiration?(Google's your friend for finding the link). Hope to see your lovely finished blanket soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I think the purple is too dark, it looks almost brown....I prefer the green in your colour palette than the purple :) I hope you manage to figure something out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is difficult! I'm having the same problem on a blanket I've started and it's driving me bonkers. The purple is lovely, but somehow it clashes a bit with the green...mmm. Do you prefer more contrast in your project or do you want to keep the general tone soft? I think adding Stylecraft Grey might be pretty, or Denim too! Or go without the green after all (and keep the purple)... Sorry I'm not more of a help! :D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had the same problem recently with some cotton bamboo I got for a holiday project. When hooked up two of the colours just didn't go. How could I have not noticed this in the shop when buying the yarn? I guess I'm just not good at choosing colour schemes. Think I may take Nana go-go s advice and try the design seed for some inspiration.

    Melanie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often have this problem Nicole,you are not alone in this tricky 'getting the colours right', I think the purple is too dark too, grey looks much more sympathetic with the other colours. I often taken my squares to my LYS and play around with colour combinations until it looks right and i'm happy xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I hate it when that happens. For some colour inspiration go the a blog called Little woollie she uses a similar colour palette. She sells wool but you can just check out the colours to then go and get a stylecraft match. Hope that helps. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little granny squares and I think you are going to get it just right - cant wait to see it all sewn together x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that the purple "fights" with the pretty pastels of the other colors. I also like the green with the pinks.. goodness, it should be fun and not stressful. I know you'll work it out. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x