Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Upcycling!

I love the ethos and mentality behind upcycling but it isn't something I have done all that much of.  Has anyone been watching Kirsty Allsopps 'Fill Your House for Free'?  I've only caught a few episodes (J thinks she sounds like she's telling people off!) and I wish she'd set up her free-stuff shop near me instead of in Scotland ;-)  I'd happily take some of that lovely furniture off her hands :)

I suppose I do a fair amount of charity shop shopping but despite my love of shopping I genuinely would like to reuse more of what I have and be more intune with the make do and mend culture...

Skirt upcycling 

Ok so I have to be honest, I didn't chop all of these buttons off of old clothes myself, but I suspect someone did though!  There were lots of brand names amongst this lot that which I picked up from my local craft shop for around £3/4. I love buttons, who doesn't love buttons, but oh my there are so many!! I love them so much I bought another pack in green, they're an absolutely bargain in my opinion.



Skirt upcycling

I had good fun dividing them up into sizes in my melamine Ikea bowls because I had a plan...


Way back in...  I can't remember when... but months ago our WI had a clothes swap and I bought this skirt for 50p, which I thought despite having lots of skirts would be okay for work.

(This is not the greatest of photographs).

Skirt upcycling 

It's not very exciting though is it...  And it was obviously meant for someone taller because it was far too long, which is why you can see the bottom is full of pins where I chopped a good few inches from the bottom.

I haven't taken a photo of the back yet but it's actually quite a nice shape so I thought there was surely something I could do to bring it to life and make it more me. 

Skirt upcycling

Buttons....

Skirt....

Buttons...

Skirt....

Yep

Skirt upcycling 

Bingo!   I've sewn about 50% on so far and need to get some motivation to finish it.  J thinks it's a bit weird but he'll see.  I'm not going to do the same on both sides, I think maybe a small cluster on the bottom right to balance it out et voila!  A fairly work suitable skirt that doesn't say I work a 9-5 office job (if only that were true!)

So there you are.  Maybe not truely upcycled as I bought everything but surely a lot cheaper than buying a brand new skirt from a shop?  Someone elses junk = my treasure. As soon as I'm done sewing I'll get some proper photographs taken.

x x x x

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant! What wonderful way to jazz up a plain skirt to something unique - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the "green" thing about upcycling and re-using, re-ducing and re-purposing! It's what we can all do to go easy on Mother Earth. The American Indians had a saying.. "walk softly on the land" and I hope to do that, too. Good for you to get a new/used skirt and make it your own! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skirt and button idea, fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I adore making old stuff into new stuff, it gives the best kind of satisfaction. My bloke has a sort of phobia of buttons - no honestly. he doesn't like to touch them and he goes all sort of shivery especially old ones. I have to keep mine under wraps. I have a brilliant recycled project on my blog today check it out http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!! I love buttons, and all the different sizes they come in!! Looking great on your skirt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole just found your blog via the lovely Jo from Three Stories High. Your blog is fantastic and very much links into my own ideas and interests. Hope you don't mind but have put you as one of my favourites, am really going to enjoy reading your posts.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Nicole forget to tell you who I am !

    crochetknittingsewing.blogspot.com
    Dorothy's Room

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nicole, pop over to my blog as I have nominated you for a Liebster Blog award because I love your blog and the things you post are always really creative. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found your blog, curtesy of Jo. I'm a button fiend too, only I store them in jars and come out in a cold sweat when I use them. I think I have a button problem. :-) congratulations on being nominated for a Liebster blog award.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x