Tuesday, 24 September 2013

More clothes!

I definitely don't need to buy anymore clothes, but making them's okay right?  OF course it is!

I bought this pattern ages ago because I fancied a change from skirts and dresses.  I think it might also have been on sale which helped.

Burda top 7509

They're not the most adventurous of tops I admit, but I reckoned a few of these would be great for work.  Because I always need more work tops, don't I?  No.

This was a new one for me, cutting on the bias.  It was a right pain to fold properly to pin out the pattern pieces but once pinned it was a piece of cake really.  No zips, no sleeves, no waist bands!

Burda top 7509

One very nice (if I must say so myself) dart.

Burda top 7509

And there you have it.  I used linen, mainly because the pattern suggested it and who was I to argue.  When J took a photo of me wearing it I blended into the curtains.  Camouflage for when I need to hide from him, like possibly later in the week if when he discovers I placed an order for more Stylecraft.  Yep.

Burda top 7509

I reckon being me it could do with some livening up.  Given that I've not finished sewing the red buttons onto my skirt I don't think buttons are necessarily the answer.  I'd quite like to give embroidery a go, I have some lovely books on sewing that my Dad of all people bought for me.  He is awesome!

Burda top 7509

So perhaps an embroidery ring will be added to my wishlist.

x x x x

10 comments:

  1. Oh your top is lovely! You have done a fab job with it. I think some embroidery would look beautiful on it... I have also made a little Stylecraft order this week, very naughty and hiding it from my husband also!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) Oooh what Stylecraft did you get?

      Delete
  2. Well that top looks very pretty! I didn't understand any of the sewing vocabulary you used - shame on me, my mum's a professional seemstress! - but sewing is on my wishlist of things to learn :-) I'm feeling a bit sad now that Yarndale is so close and I'm not able to go, I would have loved meeting up with you! Have lots of fun (because I think you're going right?) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly darts are really simple. It's just a fold in the fabric and you sew along it like a triangle. I should take the Yarndale button down (but it's good promotion) as my plans have changed & I won't be going! Will be good to hear from those who do - maybe next year :) x

      Delete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous Nicole - well done you! I wish my sewing skills were up to the mark to do something like this - I love it. We must have a photograph of you with the finished top - can't wait to see it all finished, it will be so lovely. Have a wonderful day, great post, thanks so much
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really set out to make clothes but as I've made more things I've become more confident. Books & YouTube have also helped!

      Delete
  4. Well done, Nicole! I never practiced enough to become good at using a sewing machine, so I especially appreciate the efforts of those who have. I am excited for you! Your efforts encourage me to complete more creative projects myself! Thanks for posting :) Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gracie :-) I'm glad I inspire you! That's such a lovely thing x

      Delete
  5. It looks beautiful with a gorgeous drape, perfect for work. Stylecraft make such fab patterns xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting on the bias is a lovely thing, difficult but yes it hangs nicely :) x

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x