Sunday, 20 October 2013

Rubbish, Revamped!

Yesterday I went along to a series of drop in workshops run by a group called Rubbish Revamped who were training some of our WI to make things out of pre-used, pre-loved and pre-worn stuff. Their motto is 'Reduce, Reuse, Revamp, Recycle' and they're a fabulous bunch of ladies who seem to be able to make anything out of anything!

Rubbish Revamped

My first workshop( and the one I was most looking forward to) was button jewellery

I bought along some of my own Papermania buttons in red and green, the same I used for my upcycled skirt.

Rubbish Revamped

I can't rate these buttons enough! For £3 you get so many! I quite like that lots of them are patterned or have writing on them so you can end up with something quite funky.  I've not been paid to say that, but Papermania if you're listening feel free to send me more ;-)

Rubbish Revamped

I was quite excited by my creation! I've told J at least three times, "Look I made this!!" and he's humoured me so far. I hear though that there are people out there who have button phobias, and can't stand anything with buttons on them! I can imagine that would make life quite difficult. Jeans? Nope!

I bought some of the elastic so I could make more at home.  It probably only took 15 minutes and that included getting a cup of tea and chatting.  I like short therapeutic projects like this!

Rubbish Revamped

Moving on I started on making something called a Suffolk Broach. You only need a tiny scrap of fabric and a button for this project and it's pretty simple as well. I went for fabrics that clashed a lot but it seemed to work bizarrely.  You can make them into badges or hair pieces, anything really.  Smaller puffs make good necklaces and rings too.

Rubbish Revamped

I found that absolute perfect button to sew onto the top of mine, see how it's a bit like the fabric puffs?

Rubbish Revamped

There was also a do-it-yourself table with scraps of paper and punches of different shapes. Who'd have thought that the inside of envelopes could be so interesting! Next time you get a bill have a look, you might find something useful :)

Rubbish Revamped

I made some paper bunting out of the heart stamps in two sizes and it fits nicely on my greenhouse

Rubbish Revamped

Now we weren't just learning how to make lovely things out of recycled materials, no! The ladies at Rubbish Revamped were also giving us tips on how to train others you see, because we're going to share these skills with the world*!

*maybe just a little part of it

We're probably going to run some sessions next year but it occurred to me this morning that I could also share it online with you! I need better light so I think I'll have to wait til next weekend so I can take photos as I go, but if anyone is interested then come back soon :)

x x x x

13 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a workshop! Your button bracelet looks really great, I would love one of those! Fab idea for the heart bunting too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! And things that are done quick.. brilliant! My fave is the brooch! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to make a broach tutorial but I think if you search for Suffolk Broach you may find one. Such a satisfying project!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nicole count me in! I love love love buttons and brooches - I know my little granddaughters would love to make these and they are coming to stay soon - thanks for a fabulous post, loved it. Have a great week ahead Nicole. Big hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, I've made a bracelet tutorial so go have a look x

      Delete
  4. How clever! I absolutely LOVE the flower brooch... And the button bracelet... Such wonderful little gifts as well! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yeah they'll make great gifts and they're dead quick, great all round

      Delete
  5. Great! Thanks, Instructor Nicole! I am already excited by what you have shared, and I look forward to learning more :)
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gracie! I'm looking forward to seeing some button bracelets of your own :p

      Delete
  6. This looks like so much fun. Love your bracelet. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun yes, highly recommended

      Delete
  7. What a lovely write-up Nicole, thank you so much. I like your button tutorial that you shared too. Yes, those knots are a bugger, but you get used to them once you've made a few. I've mentioned your blog and this post on the Rubbish Revamped Facebook page by the way. Danielle x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x