Friday, 8 November 2013

Needle felting, it's rather good!

Don't get RSI, I wouldn't recommend it.  It will either mean you've been repetitively doing something uncomfortable like sitting at a rubbish desk at work (done!) or you just don't stop when you're in pain when knitting (done!)

I sound like a whinge bag, yes I do, but I've not really been able to do anything on my needles or hooks for a few weeks and I am restless!  There are so many projects I'm itching to start, like Christmas presents and new baby presents but I'm continuing to be good and I've not attempted it at all, not until I know I'm 100%.  So please, all you crafters out there take it from me!  If you're in any pain your hands are telling you to stop!

It's not been all doom and gloom though.  I'm not one to sit about idly and unfortunately I'm not a big reader although I've started on the Disc World series (better late than never) so instead I've started to make other things, do a bit more sewing (new skirt coming soon!) and I've rediscovered needle felting!  This has also come at a rather opportune moment as it's quite therapeutic when you imagine that the felt roving is your conveyancers head*.

*I am not usually like this!

My first project was a little toadstool.  The stem is too thin so it won't stand upright, it might have to become a broach or something.

Felted toadstool

Then I got festive and made some puds!

Felted christmas puds



Felted christmas puds

The berry balls are a bit tricky to do but once rounded they look fab and I want to make bigger ones and string them together to make a garland or something

Felted christmas puds

I also made a slightly odd looking christmas tree but it's quite quirky so I'm sure it will find its place when the decorations come out.

Felted christmas trees

Needle felting does come with its hazards though I'll warn you.  The needles are barbed.  You think it hurts when you stab yourself with a normal needle?  That's nothing!  It's really fun though and the results can be pretty quick unless you want to get fancy and so some beautiful projects like Betz White who's blog I found by complete chance and I now love :-)

x x x x

16 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I especially love the mushroom. I'm sorry about your RSI; I've had that too and it's so painful. You made me laugh with "whinge bag," though. That's very funny to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your needle felting projects! Really sorry to hear about your RSI, I had something similar last year in my thumb and wrist and I went slightly crazy not being able to knit or crochet for a few weeks! I was also trying to stubbornly ignore the pain at first and kept on knitting - ouch. I can't offer any advice, except lots and lots of ice. I really hope you get well as soon as possible, looking forward to seeing the new skirt! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta love, I don't think I'll be putting ice on it because I'm already freeezing:p Good advice though, I'll just have to keep taking it easy!

      Delete
  3. Oh sooooo cute. Hope your pain goes away soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are too cute, I have always wanted to try needle felting. I really hope your RSI soothes away quickly x Take care xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd thoroughly recommend it Penny, I don't think a needle is very expensive, nor the roving

      Delete
  5. Keep your felting hat on, I am felting like mad at the moment but I can't post about it until later in the month (tell you later!) but I love those little projects they have given me some more ideas, thanks - I am off to stab my own finger over and over again!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I'm very intrigued Jo! I need to make a few more things, I'm thinking this is a good xmas present idea if I can knit things. Looking forward to seeing what you're upto!

      Delete
  6. Nicole these are just fabulous, well done. I love the little brooch it is perfect. Have a great week and keep on felting, you are a natural.
    Big hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw cheers Dorothy, I don't know about natural but at least it looks alright!

      Delete
  7. These are wonderful! I've never tried needle felting and you've made it look both easy and appealing. I love that little toadstool. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! It's quite easy really, flat shapes are easiest though

      Delete
  8. Oh all of these little gems are beautiful! I have never heard of needle felting, it looks like a pretty hobby to have. I love the toadstool, its adorable :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, until my mum got me the stuff for christmas one year. No idea how she found it (probably a shopping channel!) but it's good to work with

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x