Thursday, 16 January 2014

Stripey stripes

Good news my lovelies, my RSI which I was telling you about last year is much much better again.  Hooray!  How long it will last I'm not sure but I've been really good with my crafting and haven't been overdoing things and I won't be setting myself any unrealistic deadlines in a hurry that's for sure!

So with that in mind I've given myself plenty of time to knit up a blanket for one of my oldest friends who will be having a baby boy in March

Now I don't like gender stereotypes and I'm not the kind of person that thinks girls should wear pink and boys should wear blue (although I do love pink myself).  I don't like the shelves in toy shops that categorise cars for boys and dolls for girls.  I don't mind if other people do but that's just my personal opinion.

I tried really hard to apply this ethic onto this blanket (I really did!) but it is h-a-r-d I tell you!  I have wanted to use Stylecraft because it is beautiful to work with (important), lovely and soft for a baby (essential) and I have a tonne of it (useful).  The problem I found was a lot of shades from my stash have been used up like Meadow green and I was a bit concerned that too much pink and people will just assume my friends child is a girl, which wouldn't bother me but they're not me you see.

Knitted baby blanket

So after playing around with loads of colour combinations, some very terrible, some very retro (which I'm sure friends husband would hate) I have admitted some defeat and am knitting a blue blanket for a boy...  Well it's got yellow, red and purple in it too.

So far so good though.  I quite like that the 'back' is even stripier than the 'front', it took me a few rows to realise that the colour changes needed to be in even rows, but once I got around that it started to work out nicely.  I even painstakingly sewed in a different colour (following the knitted stitches) and ripped out the original just because I didn't think it looked right.  Yikes!

Knitted baby blanket

I'mn knitting on my circular needles for extra length and it's just plain old garter stitch because I just think it looks fabulous, especially in stripes.

Knitted baby blanket

A nice shot of my new white goods as well.

Tshirt yarn

I also have a yarny confession...  Actually does this even count as yarn?  It's recycled t-shirt yarn!  I think it might be factory left overs and I've seen it on the internet before but never in the shops.  These were from Hobbycraft on 3 for 2 so about £12 for all three.  I thought it might make a nice floppy snood but actually it goes very thick, so it might be more handbag or pouffe material.  We will see!

Hope all is well in your world!  Much DIY has occured here as well, I'm looking forward to boring you with photos soon ;-)

x x x x

10 comments:

  1. Your baby blanket is lovely and the colours are just right and could still be used for either a boy or a girl. I love a garter stitch blanket ~ they are so simple but very practical :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the blanket.. perfect color choices! I think you're right.. tshirt yarn.. err.. strips aren't yarn. LOL!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snap! We've both been making baby blankets! I love the stripes, and the stitch, I'm sure it will be treasured! I used t-shirt yarn to make some fun placemats, easy and washable! I've also seen a cool rug crocheted with it...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely choices for your blanket Nicole...the garter stitch and the colours are perfect!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh the blanket looks squishy and soft and I love the colour combination! My oldest friend will have a baby in June and I'm planning a blanket as well :-) And I've been meaning to get some t-shirt yarn as well, I'd love to make an oversized doily-shaped rug with that. Have a lovely weekend! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the colours you have so far in your Stripey Stripes (love that post name)! It is so difficult trying to make things for boys or girls....I wish there wasn't the stereotype! I still like that you have red and purple in there!

    Yes Boodle stuff is still yarn!! I've been tempted to try and make my own tshirt yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, it deffo is yarn and still counts! I have a half made pouffe in something very similar. I must finish it. Loving the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I'd like to see your pouffe it might give me some inspiration :-)

      Delete
  8. I admire you stripe color choices, Nicole, and I am interested in your Boodle fiber and what you might do with it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gracie, sadly no plans for it yet. Another yarn I've bought with no purpose!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x