Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Arm knitting!

First up a big thank you to your encouraging words about our DIY!  I was surprised as many people kept with me on that as you did, and I love each and every comment :-)  Even peeps who didn't comment and read, that's cool because I know time is precious x

Arm knitting!

So back to some craftiness yes?  Now if you don't know what arm knitting is then you neeeeeed* to know!

K from our WI came to our January meeting wearing the most gorgeous snood and promised an arm knitting demo at craft club.  Now I'd heard of finger knitting but not arm knitting, and after it seemed to be everywhere!  I was getting emails about it, seeing it on other blogs...  Strange but cool, and I totally understand why!

After our demo (of which I was really rubbish and K's daughter kept having to help me) I took a lunch time trip to my LYS and bought something which looks like it had already been knitted into tubes, a bit like what you'd get using a knitting Jenny?  I'm not even sure that's the right term, or thing because I've never done it.  I've also misplaced the label so I hope this makes some sense The yarn is "The Ultimate Super Chunky" by King Cole (I found the label) and it's the Moorland colourway, although 'Ember' and 'Marine' look beautiful and I wish I'd seen them too!

I have to admit that even as a knitter I really struggled to get this at first, and several viewings of this video on YouTube later I finally got it!

Arm knitting!

This is not a terribly good photo but I took advantage of some proper day light, and I don't feel very much like scarf posing (being covered in paint) so this will have to do :-p

The colourway of this yarn is quite lovely for this time of year and I used two balls together to get a super chunky effect.  You have to think that your using your arms for needles, so I've no idea what size they'd be, so the chunkier the better/easier because your creation is going to be quite 'loopy'?

Arm knitting!

I think after getting to grips with tying myself in knots, this probably only took 30-45 minutes, amazing!!

The 'back' isn't quite as nice looking but hopefully you'll be able to see the garter stitch?  I'd thoroughly recommend giving arm knitting a go.  I know knitting can take a long time but it's also nice to make hand made gifts so this is perfect!

Arm knitting!

I have much more DIY to share, hopefully a finished room on the horizon...  I've spent a very lovely and busy few days with my mum, dad and J getting to the home stretch.  I cannot wait to be finished!

x x x x

*in my humble opinion ;-)

11 comments:

  1. I think your cowl is cool.. but I think this is one fad I'm going to leave to others. But it's fun to see! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several weeks ago I watched a video of a gal who was arm knitting. I was fascinated, but have not tried the method yet. Cheers for you getting the hang of it, Nicole. Cheers for your DIY progress as well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating! I have no idea how a person can knit with his/her arms, I really have to check out YouTube! Your cowl is beautiful! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that yarn, it is really light and lofty and I have just knittted a bag with it over on my blog - take a peek. Arm knitting? got to go and check that out...Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! My LYS had an arm knitting class but I wasn't able to go - really wanted to give it a try!! I did do finger knitting with my class of 4/5 year olds last week and that was GREAT fun!! Amazing how many children have NO CLUE about knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I had never heard of arm knitting so thank you for sharing this! It sounds very intriguing I must say. I'm off to look at some you tube videos now. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of arm knitting before! Sounds great though and your cowl looks fab.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arm knitting ..... WOW i never knew, how very intriguing! ..... looks great.
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm supposed to re-learn how to knit this year...this might be a great alternative to needles! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nicole what an original idea and what a fabulous snood, well done you! Have a relaxing weekend if you can. Sending you lots of hugs and loves
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have come across arm knitting, but the stuff I saw was just too loopy for my liking, I really like what you've made, looks like a real success to me, love the yarn such a pretty colour.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x