Saturday, 1 February 2014

Sun, stripes & silicone

Bye bye January, what a lovely start to February!  The sun is shining and we have beautiful blue skies

I'm feeling pretty upbeat today, last night I re-grouted all the tiles in our bathroom so it looks sort of shiney and new (even though it isn't), redid the silicone behind the bath taps which I'd messed up the weekend before and I put paint stripper on our bedroom door frame which looked like it had been painted about 20 times.  Huzzah!  I then celebrated with a mug of mulled wine

Knitted baby blanket

I've been making good progress on my knitted blanket, I just needed a day like today to photograph it.  If anyone can think of a good 'name' for this project please let me know

Knitted baby blanket

I'm really pleased with how this is turning out because it's the first completely random item I've knitted or crocheted.  I've tried in the past to use colours at random but I've always ended up with a repeating pattern.  This is very much out of my comfort zone but I am loving it!

Knitted baby blanket

When I took this photo I thought I'd straightened out all the rows, how wrong I was!

Knitted baby blanket

I wanted to make a start on all of those pesky ends because I know it's going to be really boring doing them at the end, but unlike crocheting where I'd just weave the end into something like a treble cluster, these garter stripes are very stretchy and the ends just kept coming out!  

I decided to rip of that Mama's and Papa's blanket (I'm not going to link to it, but I'm sure you'll easily find it!) and sew on a fleecy border which I can tuck the ends into nice and securely.  It should be nicer for the baby to use and will be a lot less tedious for me!

I bought 1/2 a meter of an off white fleece, it cost me less than £3 and there should be plenty so I really can't wait to get the knitting finished.  It looks like I'm going to miss my friends baby shower because we're busy that weekend, but I'm trying to plan in a trip soon after his arrival

Untitled

The rest of my plans for this weekend consist of a lot of DIY!  Painting and paint removing, putting up blinds and skirting and maybe visiting some DIY stores.  Oh how grown up (boring?) we are now haha!  Hope you have some lovely plans for today

x x x x

10 comments:

  1. Lovely blanket! Although it's random, it still has a soothing rythm because of the red. Have fun DIY-ing! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounding very productive in your house, keep it going. Gorgeous blanket Nicole, I finished mine and posted today. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat blanket and you sure are productive in everything ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing a lot of great things around your house! We need some photos of your house again! We're just hanging out with my poor recuperating husband. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your progress, Nicole! I like your random stripes project...brave woman :) and I am impressed by all your DIY work. Bravo...and Happy Weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colours on your blanket! Also you sound like you have been incredibly busy I am not a regrouting or paint stripping fan I have to say! I expect it looks lovely though

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know just the M&P blankets you mean - we have two of them still somewhere! Creating a fleece border is a good idea, and it's a lovely blanket, great colours. We re-grouted and re-did the sealant in our kitchen and bathroom recently and what a difference it made! Not boring at all, but very satisfying indeed. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really liking your knitted blanket! I agree, sewing in ends is the downside to lovely colourful projects.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole I love the colours of your blanket, you put me to shame with the amount of work you have done, well done! Big hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I absolutely love your blanket. I tried my hand at knitting once, but because I have repetitive strain injury it left my hands hurting for days whenever I did it !! :( Sounds like you're keeping busy around the house. I've also been doing a lot of re-painting at home as for some reason we've had random bouts of water damage in every room.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x