Saturday, 15 March 2014

Knit stitch blanket ta-dah

It's a happy but bittersweet moment finishing this blanket.  It's been so enjoyable to knit and completely different to anything I've made before.  I'm probably repeating myself, but I've always loved stripes knitted in garter stitch and I've always wanted to make something at random, with no pattern or pre-planned colours.

I think I've done pretty well!  2 weeks ago I took some some last photographs before finishing.  Again, with no real idea of how long I wanted it to be I decided I'd stop when it looked right.

Knit stitch blanket

Knit stitch blanket

I spent the rest of the week knitting rows and rows of stripes until J agreed it was long enough.  Hurrah!  It should be long enough to last for a few years hopefully and not just the baby months.

Because it's garter stitch it's really stretchy so the ends I'd attempted to sew in just came out.  I totally decided to cheat and sew on a fleecy border like bias binding, only I didn't cut it on a bias so I guess it's just binding :-)

And so it's done, I love it but I will miss knitting it! 

Knit stitch blanket

Ta dah

Knit stitch blanket

It's a little wonkier than I would have liked but I'm pretty sure my friend isn't going to be laying it out flat very often.  It's going to be folded, tucked, chucked, dribbled on...  So I'm not too worried.  Sewing onto knitting wasn't actually as hard as I expected although it is quite stretchy.

Knit stitch blanket

The reverse I still quite like.  It's got more stripes to it than the front, just the way it works when changing colours, which I can't really explain

Knit stitch blanket

And so it sits rolled up in the obligatory sausage roll shot, waiting to head down South

Knit stitch blanket

I've missed my friends baby shower, one of the things which makes me sad about living so far from 'home', but I'll be seeing her in a few weeks and her baby might have been born by then so it's very exciting!

Knit stitch blanket

The border is lovely and soft and it was a brilliant way to secure the ends.  I wish I'd taken a photo now, but basically I sewed the fleece on one side using zig zag stitch, and sewed right over the ends so they're not going anywhere.  Then folded it over and sewed it onto the back.

Knit stitch blanket

It's so fluffy that in some places you can't even see the stitching although it was a total nightmare unpicking it when it went wrong!!

Knit stitch blanket

So that's it, another project off my needles.  I'm working on a couple of other things at the moment, including my first piece of knit wear!  Aran jumper lovers stay tuned!

x x x x

13 comments:

  1. The perfect present, well done you. I had a blanket given to me by my best mate for each of my girls and I treasure them both. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just perfect, I love the colours you have used too

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful and I am sure it will be much loved. The colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely gift that no doubt will be treasured, Nicole. I love the colors and their arrangement, and I think you are brilliant to sew on binding! I have never tried to sew binding on anything so I am in awe of those who do it successfully. Bravo, and thanks for posting :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colours. Clever idea with the edging.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blanket is gorgeous and it will be much used and loved, I'm sure. Love the Miffy slippers in the first photo too!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, I remember when you started this and love that you added that border...makes it look so soft and cosy!xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah this is just gorgeous and well done for making such a lovely job of it. The border and the colours are just perfect. Have a lovely week
    Big hugs and loves
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful, lucky baby. Your friend will be thrilled to have something handmade, with so much time and effort put into it. Nothing beats handmade!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really lovely, honestly, and your way of hiding the ends was very clever. All my blankets are wonky and I find blocking them makes a huge difference, but I think yours isn't really very wonky at all and it has a charm which is homemade, in a good way! I love garter stitch and think it's really underrated. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours are lovely and work so well together, the blanket looks very nice and snuggly, I am sure it will be wetland truly L-O-V-E-D !
    Thanks for sharing...
    Jay x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute blanket! I think the binding is a brilliant idea, i will definitely have to remember that, beats sewing in a million ends and looks fab!
    Happy Easter!
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Gotta love an obligatory sausage roll shot. That blanket is beautiful, anyone would be thrilled to wrap their precious bundle in it. Well done, and I love the binding.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x