Sunday, 13 July 2014

A wonky blanket; help required x

Once again all of my friends have decided to have babies at once, now I may be exaggerating a little but I can count 4 who are due between September - November; there are 8 other months of the year guys!! Joking aside, I know it's not as simple as deciding when you're due date is going to be, but if my friends could plan with me first that would be great haha!

I'm currently working on two blankets and this is where I need help.  I used a random stripe generator on a site called Biscuits and Jam which is great for getting a finish that you want while still being random.  Randomness isn't something I've previously been good at so this tool is fantastic.

So far it's a complete crazyness of colour and I'm really hoping that my friend will like it.  Looks ok so far right?

Muriel

But why has it gone so wonky!!

Muriel

At this point I can't restart, but if there's something I'm not doing right which is making it lean like the tower of Pisa then I'd love some tips.  I'm using UK Double Crochet (US Single Crochet) and starting from the same end on each row.

I'm not sure whether pinning it straight and blocking it will help, so yeah, if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know!

My second blanket is going much better, although this is now the third attempt at getting the pattern right

Retrobaby

It's a pattern called Rocky which I bought from Ravely, by a designer called Suzie Johnson.  It isn't all that complicated but I found until I'd established the pattern that I kept mis-counting, so on my first attempt I completely messed it up, attempt number two was nearly there but I'd missed the increase at the start on one of the triangles which didn't get any better the more rows I did, so I started again.  Attempt number three (as in the above!) isn't perfect but even I can't tell where I've had to increase or decrease to get back on track so I'm sticking with it.

Retrobaby

For a baby blanket it's a lot wider than it needs to be but there is absolutely no way I'll be starting again!  This will probably be for our new niece or nephew so it can last them forever

Retrobaby

I'm going to enjoy some more bloggy reading and catching up on what you've all been making while I've been awol! Back soon!

x x x x




16 comments:

  1. I had one like that and I washed it in the washing machine and blocked it wet - that sorted the F out!!!! Depends what wool you are using and if you can machine wash it though so do check first. use loads of pins so that you don't get a spiky edged. Also you can make it smell all fabric freshner - ish before you give it as a gift. A border might be the answer too but I would say after blocking. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blocking it seems to be my only choice. It's all just cheapo acrylic so should stretch rather than shrink. I need to get some of those big foam play mats. Apparently the wonkiness is because I started each row from the same end instead of alternating!

      Delete
  2. Actually you explain the wonkyness yourself - always crocheting from the same side makes it a bit rhomb-shaped. Crochet from the same side, makes the stitches shift a tiny bit on each row, you may recognise it from crochet in the round, where your rounds shifts too. To avoid it, you must alter between crocheting from both sides.
    Happy booking, Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Well I wish I'd known that before I started, thanks so much for you help I just couldn't figure it out. I'll have to see if I can block it into shape because if I start doing alternative ends I think it will look even weirder :-)

      Delete
  3. When my stuff goes wonky I just pull it and make it right.. lol.. but just remember, the baby won't care if it's not straight. It's still beautiful! I have never seen a knitted ripple.. it's awesome! You're doing great! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa :-) I nearly started again but I thought "lets see if blocking it works...." Thank goodness I did, it seems to have worked, hurrah! x

      Delete
  4. I've had blankets go wonky on me, but I usually go with a border and then block the living daylights out of it LOL Good luck :)

    I LOVE the knitted rippled, I had never seen one either, I may give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just tried blocking it now because I was getting too anxious about finishing and realising it wouldn't work, and hurrah it has! I'm going to add a few more rows, and then definitely a border. Phew!

      Delete
  5. They are both beautiful blankets - such lucky babies! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a beautifully striped blanket and it will sort itself out! Don't give up - block it, then work a border that is 3-4 rows deep - Lucy's granny stripe blanket picot border would be ideal (Attic24 of course!). That includes two rows of trebles, a dc row, then a cute picot border perfect for a baby. Any more trouble, drop me an email and we can Skype our way through it! ;-) Chrissie x PS The knitted one is perfect and stunning, I bet it gives you renewed confidence in yarn after the wonky crochet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so nearly did give up but I'm so glad I listened to everyones advice, I've blocked it as it is and it has gone straight, and lovely and floppy too! I've never done the picot border so I think now could be an excellent time to give it a go :-)

      It has been nice to have the knitted stripes stay straight (well at the ends haha) and I can't put it down. Need to get the crochet stripes out of the way, and then it's knit knit knit for me.

      Thanks for offering to help to, if I get stuck I shall give you a buzz! x

      Delete
  7. Crikey ..... what s going on with all these babies coming at once?!
    Sorry I am no help with crochet at all, but i am sure blocking will sort it out, pretty colours! and your zig zaggy one is amazing, I love the pattern, I can imagine smoke coming from your hook and needles!
    thank you for your very sweet comments on my blog x
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jooles, too many babies!! You were right though, blocking was most definitely the answer :-)

      I'm surprised my needles haven't melted (they're plastic!) because I am LOVING this knit pattern. Once I got the hang of it anyway ;-)

      Hope you're feeling better and had good positive news x

      Delete
  8. Oh pretty blankets and great colours. I don't have any advice really except try blocking? Two of my friends are expecting too and when they told me my first thoughts were....yippee I get to make baby blankets!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. They both look great and I do hear blocking helps A LOT lol
    Currently crocheting 1 of 2 baby blankets as there is twins due in november xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x