Sunday, 25 January 2015

Booky goodness

Reading Mariannes post yesterday about crochet books got me really inspired, I had to wait until this morning to take photographs and I'm so glad it's another sunny day.  Warning; this is book photo heavy!

I couldn't think of my absolute favourite book, I suppose they all have something I love, which makes them different from the rest.  I definitely prefer books over magazines, in my (limited) experience of buying magazines I just get annoyed by all the advertising and lack of actual content!  Maybe I've yet to find the right ones.

Crochet

Crochet Books

I don't have too many crochet books, which is surprising as I started to crochet properly well before getting into knitting.

Super Cute Amigurumi

Super Cute Amigurumi is exactly what it says on the tin.  Ridiculously cute little animals!

Super Cute Amigurumi


Cute & Easy Crochet

I know this book is very popular in blog land and when I bought it I knew why!  It's beautifully photographed and the projects are all really calming and peaceful.  Does that make sense?  They remind me of blogs like Lady Bird Diaries, Sew Sweet Violet, Cherry Heart and Coco Rose Diaries

Cute & Easy Crochet


150 Blocks to Knit & Crochet

A friend bought me this really cool book fore helping her at work, which is silly because it's my job & I'm paid to help, but it was lovely that she appreciated this much!  It's got so many different patterns from stars and snowflakes to leaves and triangles, and it shows you how to tesselate them and make blankets.

150 Blocks to Knit & Crochet

Knitting

Knitting Books

Bumper Book of Knitting

This book was a Christmas present from J so it's very new.  I have to say I've been really impressed with his book buying choices (you'll see more later).  Along with your essential knitting instructions there's some more advanced techniques, some I've never seen before which is nice.

Bumper Book of Knitting

I really want to make these welly socks and this shawl/scarf/snood looks beautiful.  One day when I don't have a zillion WIPs on the go...

Bumper Book of Knitting


Knitted Animal Hats

You'll know this book is a favourite if you've visited my blog for a while.  I've make this hat twice and a couple of others.  I might be nearly 30, but I love animal hats.

Knitted Animal Hats





Knitted Toy Tales

Knitted Toy Tales was recommended to me by Alice at Crochet with Raymond who sadly no longer blogs.  Her monsters which are some of my absolute favourite things ever are adaptations of patterns in this book.

I started the owl below but it's probably been a couple of years since I pick it up.  It looks much bigger than I expected so I think I'm going to frog it and start again on smaller needles.  I also know how to do intarsia better now so that will help.

Knitted Toy Tales


Purs of Wisdom

This book is just really well written and very witty.  It's got great drawn instructions and a couple of lovely projects, but it's more about "how to" than giving you things to make.

Purls of Wisdom


Knitted Cats & Kittens

This books just simply ridiculous and I love it.  It was a present from Js parents because we're 'cat people' now.  I do like some of them (others are mad!)

Knitted Cats & Kittens

I think I'm going to make Js mum this doorstop.

Knitted Cats & Kittens

Sewing

Sewing Books

These were also bought by J for Christmas and my Birthday 2 weeks ago.  See what I mean about impressive?  He didn't know I follow Tillys blog either so I think he was rather pleased!  I can't wait to get cracking now my dress makers dummy has arrived.

The Great British Sewing Bee Sew Your Own

The Great British Sewing Bee Sew Your Own

The Great British Sewing Bee Sew Your Own


Tillys book really gets into the detail of making things which is where I often struggle when making clothes so this should really help.

Love at First Stitch

Love at First Stitch

Love love love this dress x

Love at First Stitch

Well if you've made it to the end then well done!  I hope you've enjoyed, maybe been inspired?  Maybe you can recommend me some magazines?  Maybe you have some of these books and have already made some lovely things and want to share?  I'd love to hear! 

x x x x

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you have a wonderful library of crafty books! I hope you show us your dress-makers dummy. I would love to have a vintage one of those! I look forward to seeing what you make from your lovely books! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have some fantastic books, I have the opposite to your cute one, mine is the "super scary crochet book" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some corkers there. I have seen the frog made from the toy tales book and it is lovely. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little library of craft books is wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great collection. I would love to have more crochet and sewing books myself, maybe I'll make a wishlist for my birthday and Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooo, I don't have any of those and Cute and Easy Crochet especially appeals to me. I was given Adventures in Yarn Farming for Christmas. There are some knitting patterns in it ....several pretty sweaters...but so far I am mainly loving the wonderful pictures of sheep that are in the book : ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, Amazon here I come! I can't resist a good crochet book x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello....thank you so much for the sweet mention of my blog! I see that we have some of the same crafty books! Great taste and all that! I also have Tilly's book although I've yet to make anything from it. I really want to sew more but I always seem to get distracted by crochet. You also have some great knitting books there...love the lacy cowl. I really want to knit more too. There just isn't enough hours in the day is there?!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x