Sunday, 15 February 2015

A bedside rug and a runaway cat

I've just had a very stressful early afternoon looking for one of the cats who wandered off and didn't come back!  I'd been painting in the yard and Dizzy has been getting braver and braver, testing out the walls of the neighbours yards and then he just vanished.  Let me off, I'm a new cat parent, but I panicked after a bit and spent nearly an hour looking for him in tears, on my bike, which I fell off and then I came home and J said "he came back!!" Of course he did, I'm just incredibly stupid hahaha!

Enough of cats for now, time to talk crochet.  Tunisian crochet no less


Tunisian crochet has been on my radar for far too many years without actually happening.  I can't be sure where I first saw it, most likely one of the blogs I follow or groups I'm in on Ravelry and I immediately fell in love.  It makes a really lovely textured pattern, which is also solid and perfect for making a new little bed side rug.


Stripes

I made this bedside rug using normal crochet years ago, although it was meant to be a blanket, but I suppose it doesn't really go in my bedroom which is purple and cream.  I'll definitely find another home for it in another room, but I'd like to make something new for my feet in the mornings 

Tunisian Crochet

The best way to knit anything wide is to use circular needles so imagine my joy when I discovered I could get an interchangeable crochet hook for my Knit Pro circulars!  It basically makes it one giant tunisian hook.

I picked up some beautiful purple Merino, probably a little extravagant for a rug, but it was half price!  I've been after some cotton or cotton-like purple yarn for ages but it's been difficult to find a variety of shades I wanted.

Merino

I made a start that weekend but I warn you that Tunisian crochet is s.l.o.w progress.

Tunisian Crochet

I think I've now done approximately 3 inches and it still curls an awful lot so I'm hoping that some blocking and a nice border will fix that up.

Tunisian Crochet rug

I wasn't sure what kind of pattern to go with but having mocked up these two I definitely think I prefer the first because it's less fussy looking 

************  ************
************  ************
************  ************
************  ************
************  ************
************  ************

Well I hope you're having a lovely Sunday and you've had nice weather like us.  It's a shame we didn't go out to enjoy it, but I'm just glad I have my daft cat back.

x x x x

IMG_5840
Missing? Hooman you so stoopid.  I only in next doors yard.  Feed me. 

7 comments:

  1. Cats.. they have a mind of their own! I'm glad he came home! Here where we are if you don't keep your cat inside, it will soon be dinner by a coyote! It looks like you have a great project happening there! We have a sunny day ahead of us.. we need to get out for a drive. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I'm glad we don't have those!! Love that your day is just beginning and it's dark here now. Obvious I know, but love it anyway x

      Delete
  2. I bought a tunis hook but have yet to find the brain space (or time!) to tackle having a go yet. I watch with bated breath. Thanks for checking out my quilt and leaving such a huzzah comment. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Dizzy came back! I love the Tunisian crochet, such a nice structure. I'd probably go with the first colour scheme as well, it will turn out awesome :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I love purple wool! I prefer the first pattern like you, will be an awesome beside rug! Happy hooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried Tunisian crochet but I love the look of it. Your colors are beautiful. Purple is my favorite color. :) I'm glad your cat came back, I can imagine how worried you must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having just started having a dog I know exactly how you feel, my heart stops everytime I can't see her. She always happily comes pitter pattering back again though. I love the colours of the wool you are using, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. - Annie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x