Monday, 2 February 2015

Finished Bright Stripes Blanket. Ta dah!

I just love being able to say that...  I should be preparing for something I have to do tomorrow, but blogging is much more fun, and I want to share my finished Bright Stripes blanket with you!  I took some photographs over the weekend but between boring round-to-it jobs I didn't get a chance to post anything.

(Those jobs were taking up voile curtains & attaching the ends of our curtain tracks to the wall; boring but necessary and now done)

I finished this in under a month and I'm so happy with how this has turned out, I hope our friends are too

Bright Stripes Blanket

I didn't set out to use such blue tones but it just fell into being that way.  I had what I thought was a nice red but it was too dark.  I also used some pink but there wasn't any left to ball up and snap!

Bright Stripes Blanket

I've pretty much explained everything in my first (and only other) post about this blanket HERE
so you can read about the yarn I've used & where I got my inspiration from.

Hopefully you can see the differences in these two photos and why I chose not to turn the blanket after each row.  The front is much tighter looking than the back see?
Bright stripes blanket

Bright Stripes Blanket

But the problem with not turning is this!  See, try as I might the edge just went crazy!!  I don't think I did any favours but trying to increase at one end and decrease at the other....

Bright Stripes Blanket

But that's nothing a bit of stubborn blocking can't solve!  I pinned out the blanket onto my foam matts, drenched the bejesus out of it with a water sprayer, and then left a damp towel on top to dry. The result was more impressive than I could have imagined.  I've always used a steam iron method but have found what I'm blocking sometimes creeps back to it's old wonky ways.  I took this while still pinned admittedly, but it stayed straight afterwards

Bright Stripes

I just love the brightness, I really hope it's loved as much as I love it.  Shouldn't be so puffed up but I am.

Bright Stripes Blanket

Photographing this was really fun...

Bright Stripes Blanket

Moggy enjoyed it too!  They had a thing for sitting on it while it was all neatly laid out.

Moggy

Of course we have the coined 'sausage roll' shots which are my favourites!  After all there's really only so many photos you can take of it laid out.  We've got to be inventive haven't we?

Bright Stripes Blanket
Bright Stripes Blanket

The border wasn't anything like I imagined as it happens.  I had plans to do a great huge chunky border but when I showed my friend she said it worked well being simple because of the height of each stripe.  I'm inclined to agree with her!  I just did two rounds; the first was clusters of two trebles for the sides and single trebles for the top and bottom, and a second round of single trebles all the way round.

Maybe now I can start to look at finishing my Rosie Elmer Squares blanket?!

x x x x

20 comments:

  1. I love it, Nicole! The colors are beautiful. I adore the simplicity of crocheted stripes. Your blanket came out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo.. it's gorgeous and feels SO good to have it done! What is a Rosie Elmer? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rosier elmer is a reallllly slow going blanket I've been working on! It's so called because I got the pattern/idea from Little Tin Bird, who made a blanket in multi coloured squares which looked like Elmer the Elephant (Google her if it's not in the US). Mine's all pink shades but the name's a tribute :-) I'll share properly soon x

      Delete
  3. Yay that is one bright colourful blanket, it is beautiful. So what's next?!! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slowest rug in the world (just posted) and hopefully finished my pink squares blanket. There's light at the end of that tunnel at last! x

      Delete
  4. Bright and cheery in its simplicity. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love all the different photographs you took! I have a blanket to finish as well::: we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get a nice variety but at least it's small. When I've made large blankets I find it impossible x

      Delete
  6. Just gorgeous! I love stripy blankets and the colours you have used are lush. You must have had smoke coming off your hook!
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just one of those joys to crochet so it happens so fast. Good thing too, my friends had their baby on Friday :-)

      Oh and I think I know why you love my header! x

      Delete
  7. P.S I really Really REALLY do love your header! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! The combination of simple design and happy colours is perfect, well done! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should feel puffed up, it's gorgeous! I am always amazed by how blocking saves many a wonky crochet project of mine - I basically block everything. Love the happy colours and bold strips. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a life saver isn't it, I didn't expect it to work either so I'm very happy! x

      Delete
  10. It's gorgeous! Lovely colour combination and beautifully blocked too. You should be really proud of this.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x